lovinglinux is an Ubuntu Forums moderator who I have long admired for his participation with firefox addon development. Time to get to know him a little better, as always enjoy!
1. Tell as much as you’re willing about your “real life” like name, age, gender, location, family, religion, profession, education, hobbies, etc.
My name is Caio and I live in Brazil.
2. When and how did you become interested in computers? in Linux? in Ubuntu?
I started to play with computers in early 80’s, when my parents gave me a TK 85, an unlicensed ZX81 clone. But it wasn’t until the early 90’s, when I entered the University, that I would start using PC’s as we know today, mostly for research and entertainment. I don’t know exactly when I became interested in Linux, but I remember a few unsuccessful attempts to use some distributions that I received with computer magazines, until I came in contact with Ubuntu Hardy Heron, back in 2008. I guess many users like me were drawn to Ubuntu because of Vista. Never looked back since then.
3. When did you become involved in the forums (or the Ubuntu community)? What’s your role there?
I became involved in the forums since day one, when I first installed Ubuntu 8.04. Actually, the support from the community was fundamental to the success of my first real experience with Linux. So, I immediately felt compelled to help other users and started to contribute to the forums on a regular basis.
4. Are you an Ubuntu member? If so, how do you contribute? If not, do you plan on becoming one?
Yes, I recently became an Ubuntu Member through forum contributions. Most of the time, I help Firefox users to troubleshoot and optimize their browser, but I also develop some add-ons for Firefox, some of which are designed for Ubuntu. I recently joined the Mozilla’s Featured Add-ons Advisory Board, which is a group of volunteers that test and vote on featured add-ons nominations.
5. What distros do you regularly use? What software? What’s your favorite application? Your least favorite?
Currently, I use Kubuntu 11.04. My favorite application is naturally Firefox. I used to be a software junk and was constantly testing new applications on Windows. I don’t do that anymore, at least not with the same regularity. However, I do test a lot of Firefox add-ons and I usually have about 60 of them installed, for regular use.
6. What’s your fondest memory from the forums, or from Ubuntu overall? What’s your worst?
My experience in the forums have been incredible all the way back to the beginning. I have only good memories. I can’t recall a particular moment, but it was really nice to see the positive feedback when I was applying for Ubuntu Membership. In regard to Ubuntu, I do remember when I first got a BSOD inside a VirtualBox. I kept spinning it with Compiz cube, admiring the stability of the host OS.
7. What luck have you had introducing new computer users to Ubuntu?
No answer given.
8. What would you like to see happen with Linux in the future? with Ubuntu?
Worldwide domination is too much? Skynet? Now seriously, I would like to seem them thrive and be widely recognized in the desktop market, to the point were you don’t need to explain why they are awesome.
9. If there was one thing you could tell all new Ubuntu users, what would it be?
Ubuntu comes with a great community by default. Use it. Make yourself at home and don’t be afraid to ask.
Originally Posted here on 2012-03-21